From mincing, high-pitched uncles and villainous cowards to debauched British aristocrats, high school lovers, and Real World gays, sodomites have come a long way since the dawn of television.
Check out our TV timeline: We start in 1967 and include clips, photos, and factoids to remind you how much things have changed in the past several decades. (Just be warned, it's addictive!)
- Gay TV and Me: Daniel Mendelsohn explains how his life would be different if boys were kissing boys onscreen 40 years ago -- like they are today.
- Reality Bites: How a fledging cable network sidestepped the rules of America's most powerful medium and became the gay community's most visible advocate.
- Afternoon Delight: The bold, the beautiful, and Ryan Phillippe.
- The Other British Invasion: Don't be fooled by a stiff upper lip -- it yields to campier sensibilities.
- My Tales of the City: Olympia Dukakis reflects on playing one of the first transgender characters on television, Anna Madrigal.
- Please, No More Squeals and Finger Snaps!: As Bravo's long-running 'Real Housewives' franchise matures, so do the gay sidekicks.