After the Cook County State's Attorney's Office announced that they were dropping all 16 of its pending felony accounts against Jussie Smollett this week, President Donald Trump has said that the Department of Justice will investigate what happened. Those investigators will join the FBI in investigating why the charges were dropped.
"FBI & DOJ to review the outrageous Jussie Smollett case in Chicago," Trump tweeted. "It is an embarrassment to our Nation!"
Reports surfaced Wednesday that the FBI had already launched a probe into the case.
The investigations began in late January when the singer-actor alleged that he was the victim of a homophobic and racist attack in Chicago. Trump had previously responded to Smollett's allegations saying "It doesn't get worse, as far as I'm concerned." Over the course of the next few months, the Empire actor went from victim to suspect, and was eventually indicted on 16 charges as a result of the police report he filed. The decision to dismiss came in exchange with the forfeiture of a $10,000 bail as well as community service, done in Chicago.
Following the case's closure, both the Chicago police department -- which has an embattled and dangerous history when it comes to people of color and queer communities -- as well as Chicago's mayor slammed the decision. Both maintain that Smollett was guilty and should have been prosecuted. The State's Attorney Kim Foxx, who recused herself because she met with Smollett's family members, said her office had enough evidence to find Smollett guilty.
"Based on the facts and the evidence that was presented in the charging decision that was made by this office, this office believed that they could prove him guilty," she said according to ABC Chicago. Still, she also said "I believe this is a just outcome based on the circumstances."
RELATED | A Timeline of the Jussie Smollett Investigation