First celebrated in 1988, National Coming Out Day has been observed every October 11 for more than 25 years. Since then, we've seen tremendous progress be made, from the legalization of same-sex marriage to the unprecedented visibility of trans people. Had people in our community not come out, none of this would have been possible. It takes knowing LGBT people, talking with them, loving them, for society at large to understand and embrace us.
One day, it may not be necessary for us to come out, but until that point, coming out is a hugely important—and hugely nerve-wracking—moment in any LGBT person's life. In the age of YouTube, many have taken to the Internet, not only to get it done in one swift motion, but to help make it easier for other young people struggling with their sexual and/or gender identities.
Here are 11 of the most popular coming out videos ever posted:
11. Jacob Rudolph, 2.1 million views
10. Dan & Brian, 2.4 million views
9. Gigi Georgeus, 3.5 million views
8. Lucas Cruikshank, 5.1 million views
7. Ellen Page, 5.5 million views
6. Troye Sivan, 7.2 million views
5. Joey Graceffa, 7.3 million views
4. Connor Franta, 11.2 million views
3. Tom Daley, 12 million views
2. Ingrid Nilsen, 16 million views
1. Austin and Aaron Rhodes, 23.3 million views