Shopping: 5 ways to shave smoother, and 6 products to help
August 28 2008 8:12 AM EST
February 05 2015 9:27 PM EST
Photo: Karl Simone
Five tips to achieving a smoother shave:
1. Soften your hairs by showering first, or preferably shave in the shower.
2. Use a good shaving foam or gel to keep the bristles soft as you shave. Kiehl's Ultimate Brushless Shave Cream is good, but a can of Barbasol will do the trick.
3. Don't force the razor. Let it run lightly over your face for a comfortable shave.
4. Avoid shaving your chin until the end, when
the tougher hairs that grow there will have had longer to soften.
5. Always moisturize. And slap on the sunscreen while you're at it. Clinique Men's Age Defense Hydrator SPF15 serves both purposes at once.
Six products to aid you in your pursuit:
1. Forest Rain Eau de Toilette by Kiehl's, $37.50
At first fresh and spicy, this scent settles woodsy and strong.
2. Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford, $60
The brand packs its luxury into a small package of after-shave balm.
3. Arcitec cordless razor by Norelco, $229
A little flexibility is always good, and the adjustable head provides just that.
4. Electric Shave Solution by Lab Series, $14
No rinse-off required with this cooling liquid for an effortless glide.
5. Five-blade luxury razor by E-shave, $85
Five blades is better than four when it comes to a close shave.
6. Skin Difference by Clarins Men, $35
Dual-phase formula softens whiskers at their base and slows new growth.