Kevin Hart may still be able to tick hosting the Oscars off his bucket list. According to reports, following his eye roll-worthy interview with Ellen DeGeneres that aired Friday on her talk show, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science is open to the comedian returning as host of the February ceremony.
A film academy insider told Variety, "while Hart still sits atop a wish list of marquee hosts within the Academy, show producer Donna Gigliotti and her team have been working 'non-stop' on living without him."
"This includes options like a cameo-heavy, hostless show," notes Variety.
This falls in line with what DeGeneres said during her plea to Hart on her show, saying the film academy would have him back as host if he was interested.
"Don't let those people win," she said, referencing detractors. "Host the Oscars."
This hubbub began just hours after Hart was announced as host last month when old, homophobic tweets and jokes were resurfaced by journalists online. They included this 2012 message: "Yo if my son comes home & try's 2 play with my daughters doll house I'm going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice 'stop that's gay.'"
Though Hart said he had addressed the tasteless "jokes" numerous times years prior, he, at the time, wasn't interested in apologizing again. When he stepped down as host, he did finally offer an apology, tweeting in part: "I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past. I'm sorry that I hurt people. I am evolving and want to continue to do so."
Related: The Problem With Ellen DeGeneres' Kevin Hart Interview