1. We knew there was something about the cute guys in Sam Smith's "Like I Can" video. There were around 20 extras in the black-white video shot in New York City, but it seems the crooner hit it off with one of them. "It's very early days. I'm talking very, very, very early days. But he's really sweet..." [The Sun]
2. Lee Daniels says he's been brainwashed about Arabic culture. After spending time as the jury head for the Dubai International Film Festival, Daniels told a journalist: "What I’ve learned is that I’ve been brainwashed. I have been brainwashed since a child about the Arabic culture... I have been brainwashed, and I am embarrassed about it. I’m ashamed." He also added that he was going to go on Oprah to tell the world about his new insights. Ms. Winfrey will be appearing in his next feature film, an as-yet-untitled Richard Pryor biopic. [The Hollywood Reporter]
3. The screenwriter of The Imitation Game, Graham Moore, explains why they cut the final suicide scene that showed Alan Turing's cyanide-laced apple. Seems it looked too much like an Apple computers commercial. [Vulture]
4. Buddy Cole (Scott Thompson) of Kids In the Hall fame wasn't invited to Toronto International Film Festival, so he started his own festival to premiere his own film, starring himself. [Funny or Die]
5. Boyhood is Barack Obama's favorite film of the year. [THR]
6. Watch Ilana and Abbi check out some "hot guys" in this new promo for Broad City. The Comedy Central must-see returns Jan. 14.