News & Opinion
Putin Doubles Down On Gay Hate
…And 5 Other Things You Need To Know Today
December 12 2013 4:43 PM EST
February 05 2015 9:27 PM EST
1. Russian president Vladimir Putin gave his annual address to the Russian parliament, and--surprise, surprise--defended his anti-gay laws. The Guardian reports that in an apparent reference to his law banning "propaganda of nontraditional relationships," Putin said that Russia sees itself as a defender of conservative values against an onslaugh of "genderless and fruitless so-called tolerance," which "equals good and evil." He also put pressure on Ukrainian president, Viktor Yanukovych to form closer ties with Moscow and distance the Ukrain from the EU. This has been the source of some friction, between Russia and the west, Germany in particular.
2. Britney's new album is her worst selling ever. Vulture reports that Britney Jean charted at only No. 4 and moved only 107,000 copies its first week. Compare that to Femme Fatale, which topped the Billboard charts and sold 276,000 albums it's first week out.
3. A bill that would ban gay-to-straight conversion therapy has been introduced in the UK. Labour MP Geraint Davies has introduced the bill which would require all therapists to register with a government approved body. If it were to be discovered that these therapists were offering gay "cures" or other such treatments, they would be banned from practicing in the UK.
4. Golden Globes Real Talk: Oprah and Lee Daniels got snubbed but T-Swift gets a nomination?! I call shenanigans. SHENANIGANS!!!!!!
5. That fake sign language interpreter at the Nelson Mandela memorial. Yeah he got the Hell out of Dodge. The Washington Postreports that he "vanished into thin air."
6. George Takei is in better shape than you are and Benedict Cumberbatch used to wear ladies clothes. Nerdgasm!