Switzerland Apologizes To Oprah
...And 5 Other Things You Need To Know Today
August 09 2013 6:15 PM EST
February 05 2015 9:27 PM EST
1. The Swiss Tourism Office has apologized to Oprah Winfrey after a store clerk refused to show her a purse. The shop assistant refused to show Oprah a handbag and said it would be "too expensive" for her. Oprah was in Zurich last month for Tina Turner's wedding when the incident happened and told ET about it. What's Swiss German for "I've made huge mistake?"
2. Tyga. You know the rapper, who had that hit....um....I've never heard of him either. Well he went on a homophobic rant outside of Hollywood's Supperclub. He said that a pap had "a gay-ass job." TMZ caught it on camera. How many box tops did this kid have to send in to be on the same label as Drake and Nicki Minaj?
3. Gay couples will now be getting Social Security benefits. In a statement released today, Carolyn W. Colvin, the Acting Commissioner of Social Security, said "I am pleased to announce that Social Security is now processing some retirement spouse claims for same-sex couples and paying benefits where they are due. The recent Supreme Court decision on Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act, made just over a month ago, helps to ensure that all Americans are treated fairly and equally, with the dignity and respect they deserve."
4. Obama opposes Russia's anti-gay laws but isn't going to do anything about it. In a press conference last night, the POTUS said that he does not support boycotting the Olympics, but that "if Russia doesn't have gay or lesbian athletes, then it will probably make their team weaker," he said. Talk is cheap Mr. President. That being said, figure skating is one of the events...
5. The International Olympic Commission is asking for more clarification of Russia's anti-gay laws. TheUSA Today reports that IOC President Jacques Rogge said that though the Russian government has given him "re-assurances" about the laws, there are still too many "uncertainties" for the IOC. In a statement on Thursday, Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said that the private lives of the athletes would be respected. Well in that case....
6. Jessie J's pulled a Beyonce and lopped off her hair. She's rocking a Miley style do in her video for "It's My Party," the second single off her upcoming still-untitled sophomore album. Check it out below.