We're avowed fans of Original Plumbing, the quarterly magazine that Amos Mac and Rocco Kayiatos put out--and we recently told you about Mac's latest project, Translady Fanzine, so we got to wondering what these two dudes think were the most important moments of 2011. We asked and they answered:
1. Original Plumbing magazine celebrates two years with the release of issue #8: The Family issue, in which we silenced ourselves and gave our mothers a platform to speak about finding community within each other, bringing up the subject that it isn't just trans people who need community, but family members too.
2. Australian passports get three gender options: Male, Female, and Indeterminate (AKA "X").
3. Rocco writes and produces his new album, Second Hand Emotion, to be released in 2012.
4.The Philadelphia Trans-Health Conference celebrates 10 years of existing!
5. Anna Grodzka, a trans woman, takes a seat in Poland's newly elected parliament!
6. Amos collaborates with L.A.-based artist Zackary Drucker and creates a body of work which is published into issue one of Translady Fanzine and then becomes a gallery show titled Distance is where the heart is, home is where you hang your heart.
7. Remembering Chloe Dzubilo. The artist, transgender activist and staple of NYC queer life passed away in February.
8. My Transsexual Summer debuts on Channel Four in the U.K., showcasing the transitions of 7 Brit's in doc-reality style.
9. Massachusetts becomes the 16th state to treat transgender citizens as a protected class after legislature passed the Transgender Equal Rights Bill!
10. Best Political Action OF ALL TIME, EVER: Andrea Jones, a trans woman in Tennessee, gets arrested for being topless outside of the DMV in protest after being denied an "F" on her drivers license. Jones stated, "If I was a male, I had the right to, when I stepped out the door, take off my shirt. It's not right for the state to ask me to be both male and female. A choice needs to be made. They cannot hold me to both standards."
Be sure to follow Out on your favorite social platform
DON'T MISS THE OUT100 SPECIAL 3 DAY MARATHON STARTING NOVEMBER 24TH!
Journey through the year’s influential Out100 – the most iconic and long-standing celebration of LGBTQ+ icons and allies – in a 1-hour television special spotlighting the LGBTQ+ people shaping the world today.