Why We Love Chavela Vargas
By Out.com Editors
Lover to Frida Kahlo and a favorite of Pedro Almodóvar’s, world-famous singer and guitarist Chavela Vargas’s fierce masculine style—bandanas, ponchos, pants, and cigars—suited her gravelly yet evocative sound. Described by Almodóvar as “the rough voice of tenderness,” Vargas, who died last year at 93, remained closeted until she was 81, when she finally said, in a voice proud and respected, “I was born this way.”
Watch a clip of her singing "En El Ultimo Trago" live below:
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Model Watch: Adonis Bosso & Juan Betancourt in 'Horizon'
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula