The Nation of Islam gave Malcolm X a platform and a purpose (as well as a legion of detractors responsible for his assassination). It also influenced the 1960s civil rights activist's spotless and suited ur-Thom Browne look and led the Nebraska native down a path that would turn him into a world traveler. Between 1959 and his death in 1965 at the age of 39, he visited Africa three times and the United Kingdom twice before completing a pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia.
Photography by Jonathon Kambouris
Below, Junior Fashion Editor Brent Coover shows you exactly how to make Malcolm X's look work for you.
1. White button-down shirt by Alfani available at Macy's, $50
2. Yukel eyeglasses by Moscot, $199
3. Downtown wool tie by J. Crew, $59.50
4. Tie bar by Alfred Dunhill, $195
5. Black leather messenger bag by Emporio Armani, $395