If Scotty Bowers doesn’t have dirt on you, were you really a silver-screen legend? In the documentary Scotty and the Secret History of Hollywood, the loose-lipped 94-year-old dishes about his time as Tinseltown’s biggest pimp to the (often closeted) stars. Here, a choice selection of his most outrageous, most alleged claims.
1. Bowers hooked up two of Hollywood’s most notable closeted men. “One day Cary Grant was in the gas station, and Rock Hudson just happened to be there,” he says. “Grant picked him out, so I fixed him up with Rock for $20.”
2. Actor Tom Ewell (The Seven Year Itch), silent film star Ramon Novarro, and composer Cole Porter were Bowers’s “big users.” As he recalls, “Cole Porter would say, ‘Can you bring 15 guys by? I wanna suck 15 guys off, one right after the other.’ ”
3. Bowers slept with an FBI bigwig. “I went to bed with J. Edgar Hoover. He was in drag, and was not a great beauty, but I treated him like he was a girl.”
4. Pioneering sexologist Alfred Kinsey would attend gang bangs Bowers hosted but refused to participate; he’d instead conduct field research in a corner.
5. Photographer Cecil Beaton connected Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII with Bowers, who arranged tricks to drop by their bungalow at the Beverly Hills Hotel for a week. “[Wallis] would do the talking,” Bowers remembers. “ ‘Suck his cock, do this, do that.’ She was a real ballsy chick.”
Watch an exclusive clip from the documentary below.