Situated alongside the Bahía de Banderas on the Pacific Ocean, Puerto Vallarta offers everything you can expect from a waterfront city—and much more. Just over 500 square miles, the destination not only boasts clean beaches and pearl-white sands, but innovative restaurants, local-made tequila, fantastic art, and outdoor excursions that elevate it from getaway to paradise.
Now you just have to get there. Alaska Airlines is the largest airline to Mexico and serves the Islands with the most non-stop options from the West Coast. And to help make your trip to Puerto Vallerta even more fantastic, Alaska offers a great deal with their Visa Signature® card buy one coach ticket and bring someone else along for about the cost of a night out!
So while you put together an itinerary for your stay in Puerto Vallarta, it's important you don't miss out on these key activities. Because no one wants to experience FOMO on their vacation.
1. Swimming with Dolphins - Fun for the whole family, Aquaventuras Park Vallarta offers the chance to swim with some of the sea’s most precious mammels, from dolphins to sea lions. The park also offers various amusement rides and some of the best pools in Puerto Vallarta.
2. The Beach - Puerto Vallarta's beaches are a total dream. Though many hotels have private beaches, there are also a host of public ones to choose from. Playa los Muertos is never too crowded, but still offers easy access to restaurants and bars. Playa Bucerías is a must-visit for calm surf, while La Lancha is often regarded as the prettiest beach in the area. If you want to plant yourself on the shore in front of a hotel, rent a chair or buy a drink and the staff will usually treat you just like a guest.
3. Tequila - There's no better place to taste the iconic liquor of Mexico than in the province it originates. Tequila tastings are a great way to discover the alcohol’s many varieties. Head to Tequila Mamá Lucia for a distillery tour followed by a tasting of the beloved drink.
4. City Escapes - Staying in Puerto Vallarta provides easy access to an array of daytime activities, from jungle tours and zip-lining to snorkeling and kayaking. Companies likes Canopy Tours, Vallarta Adventures, or even your hotel concierge can help you find the best adventure package, whether you decide to dive into the ocean or swing through the trees.
5. Statues and Sculptures - Puerto Vallarta is famed for its statues spread throughout the city and boardwalk. Make sure you walk throughout town and visit the The Good Fortune Unicorn by Aníbal Riebeling, The Millennia by Mathis Lidice, and The Boy on the Seahorse by Rafael Zamarripa, which is the most recognized work and renowned symbol of Puerto Vallarta itself.
Image via Café des Artistes' Instagram
6. Food - From fresh seafood to taco stands, Puerto Vallarta has something for every taste. Local delicacies and national favorites are elevated by the talents of world class chefs. Café des Artistes offers a gourmet dining experience that’s perfect to ring in the beginning of your trip. Opt for the fresh tuna or broiled octopus, and make sure to try any one of their signature desserts (we’re big fans of the Bitter Chocolate Tart with Pink Pepper and Red Fruits—yum!). For a more casual meal, check out the fare at The Blue Shrimp or La Palapa Restaurant for local fish and traditional Mexican cuisine.
7. Nightlife - There's no doubt that every day spent in Puerto Vallarta will be busy and fun-packed. But no matter how sun-tired you might be, save just enough energy to explore the city's nightlife. Bars are open late and there are clubs that cater to a variety of tastes. You can enjoy a range of music—from Top 40s to salsa—at any number of watering holes, like Bar La Playa, Club Roxy, or Day Off Beach Bar. Head to Cc Slaughters or Paco's Ranch—Puerto Vallarta's favorite gay dance spots—where drinks, cute boys, and good vibes are aplenty.
Let Alaska Airlines get you to Puerto Vallerta now.