WATCH: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Perform 'Same Love' at VMAs
By Out.com Editors
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis took home three moon men at last night's MTV Video Music Awards, but their biggest moment was performing their hit "Same Love" at Brooklyn's Barclays Center. The men were introduced by rapper A$AP Rocky, who says he respects gay men who come out, and out NBA free agent Jason Collins. "The only way things change is when you stand up for what you believe in," Collins said.
While "Same Love's" official video won an iconic astronaut-shaped statuette for "best social message video," seeing the track performed live at such a youthful event -- and with assists from singers Jennifer Hudson and Mary Lambert (read our interview with the lesbian singer-songwriter) -- is even more proof that equality has moved into the mainstream, and the majority, too: the most recent Gallup Poll shows 52% of the nation would vote for complete marriage equality.
Video killed the radio star, yes, but it helped build stellar support for the L,G,B and T.
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet
- The 10 Gayest Movies Ever Made!