Emma Thompson Disses Audrey Hepburn
By Jessanne Collins
Photo: Getty Images
So Audrey Hepburn can’t sing and can’t act. Emma Thompson says so. Well, we maybe can’t defend the singing part, but really, you have to be a LOT more lovable them Thompson to be able to stand there and say one of our idols is a ham.
OK, she was doing it in part to promote her own version of My Fair Lady, and we get the whole “no such thing as bad publicity” thing, but did Emma HAVE to have a go at lovely wee Audrey? Audrey, whose real-life acting ability once survived a way tougher test than Emma has ever faced, when she fooled some German soldiers who stopped her while she was cycling to the forest with her bike basket loaded with provisions for Resistance fighters? We think not…
Oh, and Emma also threw in the word “twee,” the hussy: “I find Audrey Hepburn fantastically twee.” She explained further: “Twee is whimsy without wit. It’s mimsy-mumsy sweetness without any kind of bite. And that’s not for me.
“She can’t sing and she can’t really act, I’m afraid. I’m sure she was a delightful woman -- and perhaps if I had known her I would have enjoyed her acting more, but I don’t and I didn’t, so that’s all there is to it, really.”
OK, Nanny McPhee, just don’t expect us to come and shed tears over YOU when nobody watches your Eliza…
Previously > Is Soccer Getting Less Homophobic?
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Rockin' OUT in L.A.