Homotional Rescue: With Mike Ruiz
By Zack Rosen
Homotional Rescue's title is no accident. People get emotional about animal welfare. Why else would Zoloft be sponsoring Sarah McClachan's next round of anti-cruelty PSA's? Mike Ruiz, of course. The celebrity photographer extraordinaire is also a frequent guest on RuPaul's Drag Race and recently launched his own art app, Pretty Masculine, also loves pitbulls so much it is palpable.
The man who regularly appears on one of America's most popular TV shows, who has shot portraits of Ludacris, Kelly Clarkson, and countless others, was nearly moved to tears after spending time in BARC animal shelter's big dog room. Ruiz's family includes a rescue pit named Oliver, who had so brightened his life that the partnered paparazzo has dedicated considerable time and resources to the Redondo Beach-based organization Bullies & Buddies.
This past December, Mike came to the BARC Animal Shelter in Williamsburg and gave his time to help all the rescue dogs and cats like Oliver. If you want to help too, check out the ASPCA's "No Pet Store Puppies" campaign. Remember: Always adopt your new pets and don't support stores that support puppy mills. If you can do that, you'll be a superhero.
- Culture Wars: Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists?
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Who Cares About Islan Nettles?
- Teen Wolf to Get Gayer With a New Out Athlete
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Out's Best-Dressed Man of the Week: Jared Leto