6 of TV's Newest Female Friendships—and the Lesbian Continuum
By Chloe Fitzpatrick
New Girl: Jess & Cece
Since they were just little girls, Jess (Zooey Deschanel) and Cece (Hannah Simone) have been best friends. For years, Jess has been rolling her eyes at Cece and asking her not to “do her usual thing” when dudes are around and Cece has most likely been rolling her eyes at Jess tap dancing and playing the ukulele all over the place. (But, we’re done hating on Zooey Deschanel by now, right? I’m sorry I brought it up.) They annoy each other as any two people sharing a life together would, but they could each stand to be a little more like the other. Their opposite characteristics often serve as life lessons.
Awkward Black Girl: J and Cece
Now let's step away from the mainstream network offerings and take a look at where things are bubbling up on the fringes. J and Cece, pals in the web series The Mis-Adventures of Awkward Black Girl, are two socially awkward young women of color just trying to navigate being social in a normal way. Cece is a little bit more confident than J and often helps her best friend with dating advice, helpful or not. Check out this episode where Cece helps J prepare for her first “white date” and get ready to (hopefully) see this pair on a HBO series based on the web series soon.
- Neil Patrick Harris: His Metamorphosis From Doogie to Barney to Hedwig
- 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever
- Neil Patrick Harris: Glitter & Glam
- Actor Who Plays Hodor on Game of Thrones Comes Out in Understated Way
- Bear Rapper Big Dipper: I Won’t Sleep With My Fans
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula