First Look: 'Adore'
By Matthew Breen
Set in a pristine idyll of the beaches of New South Wales, starring two beautiful powerhouse actresses Robin Wright and Naomi Watts, it's hard to steal your attention away from the two sexy young men who play their sons, Xavier Samuel and James Frecheville.
In the film, the women, friends since childhood, admire one another’s genetic handiwork (their sons are handsome, they surf, their muscles ripple) until suddenly each woman finds herself in the bed of the other’s son. Yeah, it’s a bit like the Saturday Night Live music video “Mother Lover”—but infinitely hotter. And no chinstrap beards.
The film is based on a novella by British writer Doris Lessing, titled "The Grandmothers." Lessing was the oldest person ever to receive the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2007. She’s 93 now and wrote the novella in her eighties.
The images from Adore (formerly titled Two Mothers), which screened at Sundance, are extremely appealing. And it's way less disturbing than Eddie Redmayne and Juianne Moore's incestuous storyline in Savage Grace.
The film is scheduled for a September 6 limited release. Watch the trailer below:
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Bianchi, Winterson Books Named Lambda Literary Award Finalists
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Teen Wolf to Get Gayer With a New Out Athlete