WATCH: Barbra Streisand Explains Why Obama Must Win
By Jeremy Kinser
In a new ad released by the National Jewish Democratic Council, Barbra Streisand says "the choice is clear" that Barack Obama should be re-elected president.
The iconic entertainer, currently on a rare concert tour, recently raised $22 million for research to fight women's heart disease. After informing viewers that Obama has the economy moving in the right direction, Streisand touts the president's appeal for female voters. "President Obama has supported Roe v. Wade, Planned Parenthood, and equal pay for women from his first day in office," she says. "And his landmark health care law provided millions of women with access to contraception and mammograms that they couldn’t have afford before."
Streisand, who has had an enormous gay following since she began her career, then reminds voters of the support Obama has already demonstrated for LGBT Americans. "He has also done more for the LGBT community than any president before, repealing 'Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell' and signing the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act into law," she says.
Watch Streisand discuss Obama below.
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- 20 Power Couples You Should Know
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet
- Calpernia Adams: Tranny Is a Dumb Word But Don't Ban It