Catching Up With Katrina from Katrina and the Waves
By Noah Michelson
It's been 25 years since "Walking on Sunshine" -- one of the most played songs in the history of radio -- first hit the airwaves. To celebrate, Katrina Leskanich, the band's former lead singer, just released a live album, which includes two versions of the beloved single. She also stopped by the Out studio to chat about the song's origin, why Dolly Parton's version of the song is her favorite, and why her fashion choices in the "Walking on Sunshine" video might have hinted at her dormant lesbianism (she didn't come out until later in her life/career):
After our interview, Katrina agreed to play a few bars of "Walking on Sunshine," but she got so into it she ended up performing the entire song -- much to the delight of the Out video team. I can definitely say without a doubt that this version of the song is my favorite and it's also one of my all-time favorite performances since we began the Out Soundcheck Series:
For more info on Katrina and the new album, visit her official website.
-- NOAH MICHELSON
Previously > Get Outta Kylie's Way!
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Looking Sneak Peek: The Finale
- Gay Pop Culture, Entertainment, Icons Popnography