Need To Know: Tony Leuzzi
By Noah Michelson
When recently asked about the gay content of his poems, Leuzzi responded:
Any man who admits his attraction to another man finds himself in a marginal position in the patriarchy. It’s 2010 and I still come across editors who won’t publish some of my poems because they are too ‘explicit.’ I once wrote a sonnet that an editor rejected based upon its homosexual content. I remember the exact words: ‘Your sonnet is very impressive. But we’re trying to get our publication picked up by university libraries. Sorry.’ What?! Are you kidding me with this? I guess what I’m saying is, representations of male homoeroticism are still pretty edgy in mainstream reading circles. The fact that almost one-third of this new collection of poems deals squarely with gay male desire is a risk. It’s political.”
Illumination (from Radiant Losses)
to his room
and found him naked,
as promised, lying silently
upon the bed, and the bed itself quite promising.
and joined him
in the soft, semi-
darkness lit by two thin candles,
where our pale skin flickered in the flickering shadows.
and he turned
on the lights so I
could gather back my clothes, I saw
before me, posed like gods, a pair of tall bronze statues.
Radiant Losses is currently available through the New Sins Press website and will soon be sold on Amazon.com.
Previously > A Field Guide To Bears
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Looking GIF-cap: Thank You for Being a Friend
- Casting Net: MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters
- Quote of the Day: Brad Pitt's Musk Smells Better Than Your Cologne
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film