The British edition of Vogue has been a presence on the Internet long before it was fashionable. While the US edition only launched a full-fledged site just shy of two years ago (though before that Style.com was "the online home" to Conde's Vogue and W) -- British Vogue's website is celebrating its 15th birthday this year! Those Brits were real pioneers, hitting the web back in 1996 when it was desolate wasteland owned by AOL chatrooms. My, how things have changed.
To celebrate the occasion, the editors across the pond have asked their favorite fashion insiders to share their 15 favorite things: Alexander Wang picked his 15 favorite spots in New York to grab a cheap, but delicious, bite. Donatella Versace picked her 15 favorite women, as did Diane von Furstenberg. Kate Moss picked her 15 favorite Vogue covers (no, none featured her own image) and Victoria Beckham picked her 15 favorite modern art pieces. But, of course, our favorite would have to be Tom Ford and his list of the 15 things that every man should have. They included everything from more ephemeral musings ("a sense of humor") and Ford-ian classics (a tuxedo, something that most men don't really need, if you ask us). Here is what Ford, our former cover boy, suggested as must haves.
1. A sense of humor
2. A daily read of the newspaper
3. A sport that you love and are good at
5. A good cologne that becomes a signature
6. A well-cut dark suit
7. A classic pair of black lace-up shoes
8. A smart blazer
9. The perfect pair of dark denim jeans
10. Lots of crisp white cotton shirts
11. Always new socks and underwear (throw away the old ones every six months).
12. A classic tuxedo
13. A beautiful day watch with a metal band
14. The perfect sunglasses
15. Perfect teeth -- if you don't have them, save up and have them fixed.
Well, we only have one-third of the things on Tom's list. How did you score?
Check out all of Vogue UK's friends' suggestions here.