Hot List 2013: I'm So Excited!
By Jason Farago
Carlos Areces is the stuff of subgenre, Z terror: vampires, zombies, Martians, swords-and-sandals, cheap sci-fi, poxy esotericism, impossible espionage—all the aberrations imaginable by novel directors and the worst underground. All these subs will be a wonderful school until he gets a call from Tarantino, to whom I intend recommending him. But the interesting thing about Carlos is that he is also gifted for the noble reverse of all these subgenres, and those are the performances I predict for him in the future. He is a natural child of Akim Tamiroff, Zero Mostel, Margaret Rutherford, Peter Lorre, and Rosalind Russell (I’m sorry for being erudite; you’ll have to fall back on IMDb). He could also do biblical comedies with Monty Python and all those mellifluous, perverse roles played by Charles Laughton. He makes a wonderful pair with Javier Cámara (Javier is going to be in big demand because he makes a very good pair with many actors). I’d love to direct a stage version of Jean Genet’s The Maids that would be called The Manservants (I’m not joking) where the master would be Miguel Ángel Silvestre and the manservants Javier and Carlos.
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- The Before-and-After Pics of the Phony Duck Dynasty Clan
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Panti Bliss: The Drag Queen Who Rocked Ireland Soaks In the Aftermath