By Julien Sauvalle
Arthur, 39, from Astoria, NY, asks:
"Can you recommend good deodorants for summer? I've tried so many different brands but nothing seems to stick around -- ha."
Gents, we've all been there: You get a fancy new deodorant but a few hours after application -- sometimes, even after a few minutes -- you start feeling sweaty and uncomfortably smelly again.
Commonly, there are three main types of deodorants: sprays, roll-ons, and sticks. I would start by ruling out sprays. Sticks and roll-on are easier to use, more precise, and usually last longer than sprays. They're also more environment-friendly.
The second thing you need to consider is your skin type: The skin of your armpit is very delicate and can be reactive to the wrong product. If you experience redness when you trim your armpits (or if you shave them frequently), you should opt for an unscented or alcohol-free deodorant. A deodorant with strong fragrance will dry out your skin and could provoke allergic reactions. An unscented product is also a good way to avoid a smell clash with your favorite cologne.
If you're a heavy sweater -- no need in trying to be glamorous here -- pick a deo with an antiperspirant agent. Simple deodorants mask odors, while antiperspirants help reduce the secretion of sweat. A lot of new products offer 24h, 48h, or even 72h protection: I would hope that you wash every day, therefore these different degrees of longevity are a bit irrelevant unless you travel a lot without being able to freshen up, or have very, very long days.
Here's five products worth giving a shot, tried an approved by the Out team:
Alvarez Gomez Roll-On Deodorant, $16, at MiN New York
The light verbena scent in this roll-on is the signature fragrance of this centenary Spanish grooming brand, and has an instant feel-good effect.
Nuxe Men Deodorant Protection 24H, $16, at Nuxe.com
Alcohol-free and aluminum-free, a gentle roll-on that leaves no trace, with a delightful masculine scent.
Arm & Hammer Ultra Max, $2.99, at Walgreens
Efficient and wallet-friendly, a stick suitable for those who prefer to use a fragrance-neutral deodorant.
Dove Men+Care Cool Silver, $4.99, at Walgreens
Dry and fresh armpits guaranteed throughout the day with this clear stick.
Vichy Homme 72H Anti Perspirant, $30, at C.O. Bigelow
A slightly higher pricepoint, but the Vichy Homme roll-on is the safest bet to remain fresh day and night.
Finally, a few tips to bear in mind to minimize sweat:
- From your bed sheets to your plain white tee, always favor cotton over synthetic fabrics. As you may have noticed, synthetics increase perspiration and do very little to hide unpleasant smells.
- Limit your intake of coffee, tea, and spicey food. Tobacco is also a no-no.
- Drinks water frequently, particularly before bedtime.
- Take colder showers to reduce your body temperature.
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film