Robbie Rogers Thanks World Cup Star Hitzlsperger For Coming Out
By Alex Panisch
1. In a touching essay in The Guardian, openly gay soccer star and OUT 100 honoree Robbie Rogers thanked soccer star Thomas Hitzlsperger for coming out yesterday. Rogers writes, in part, “I could never have imagined that Thomas was gay too, but it would have made a world of difference to me if I had known, just as young gay athletes around the world will be inspired now by Thomas's courageous decision to come forward and share the truth about his life.”
2. Former NFL cornerback and executive director of You Can Play, an organization whose mission is to end homophobia in sports, Wade Davis gave an interview to Extra Mustard, Sport’s Illustrated’s culture blog, and spoke about Out cover star Chris Kluwe’s being fired from the NFL, allegedly for being an LGBTQ activist, and the Aaron Rodgers gay rumors. Check out the full interview here.
3. Laverne Cox has been on a roll lately. She went on Katie Couric’s talk show, schooled people on transgender issues, and now she’s amazing in an Orange is the New Black photo shoot for Elle. Huffpo has the pictures.
5. Remember when Dennis Rodman went on CNN and made an ass of himself by saying that an American jailed in North Korea deserved it? Well now he’s issued an apology. He—or more likely his publicist—wrote in a statement, “It had been a very stressful day. Some of my teammates were leaving because of pressure from their families and business associates. My dreams of basketball diplomacy was quickly falling apart. I had been drinking. It’s not an excuse but by the time the interview happened I was upset.”
6. ICYMI: Here’s Stevie Nicks performing “Rhiannon” on AHS. Warning: some spoilers ahead.