Neil Patrick Harris Defends Against Accusation of Derogatory Lyric
By Jerry Portwood
There's been nearly unanimous praise for Neil Patrick Harris for his energetic performances as host of last night's Tony Awards, so it seems there always needs to be someone who takes the piss, hoping for a little controversy. The Daily Mail is claiming that Neil took creative liberties and dropped "the N-word" during his opener musical number with Mike Tyson. As the paper writes:
As part of his eight-minute opening number seasoned performer Patrick Harris sings: 'In tandem like we planned 'em, forgive me if it's random but Mike Tyson had a one man show let's give the man a hand.
'And make things bigger, like bigger
'I'm here with Iron Mike Tyson he's a heavyweight yo
'We're going bigger, is I his n***a'.
In response, NPH took to Twitter, writing:
Really, Daily Mail?!? The N-word? That’s your story?!? I would NEVER be so disrespectful and frankly, neither should you.
— Neil Patrick Harris (@ActuallyNPH) June 10, 2013
Watch the clip below:
- James Franco Teases "50 Shades of Batman and Robin"
- Tom Daley Confirms It Was 'Love at First Sight' With Dustin Lance Black
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- EastSiders Web Series Lands A Satellite Award Nomination
- Gay Men's Chorus Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad
- Olympic Diver Tom Daley Comes Out