Target Stocks Same-Sex Wedding Cards
By Jerry Portwood
After a mistargeted attack against Target last week for not carrying Frank Ocean's album in its stores, now the retailer has discussed its decision to stock same-sex union cards in its stores.
Made by Carlton Cards, a unit of American Greetings—which is based in Minnesota—the cards bear the titles "Mr. and Mr." and "Women. Love," and they are now available nationwide at its stores, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. "Target is focused on diversity and inclusivity," Molly Snyder, a spokesperson for the retailer, said. (That seems to be to counter the company's controversial 2010 donation to Tom Emmer, a Minnesota gubernatorial candidate who opposes same-sex marriage and ended up losing the election).
As The Advocate reported, "Antigay groups gearing up for Minnesota's November referendum on same-sex marriage are upset with Target's decision to sell the cards and T-shirts, the latter of which benefit the Family Equality Council. Even with the gay-themed products, Target has not officially endorsed same-sex marriage."
Hallmark has offered a line of same-sex cards since 2008 but Target doesn't carry that brand.
- Tom Daley Confirms It Was 'Love at First Sight' With Dustin Lance Black
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- GIF Wall: Model Marc Buckner Charms The Camera
- James Franco Teases "50 Shades of Batman and Robin"
- Which Oscar-Diva Movie Should You See?
- Lady Gaga Flashes Her Privates on the Cover of Candy Magazine (NSFW)