India to Host Transgender Beauty Pageant
By Jessanne Collins
Members of India's LGBT community celebrate after a court ruling that legalized gay sex in July. (Getty Images)
The Indian city of Chennai is making plans to host the first Miss India contest for transgender people this December. In addition to the top tiara, crowns will be awarded in the categories of Miss Beatiful
Hair, Miss Beautiful Eyes, and Miss Beautiful Skin. About 150 contestants are expected to participate in the pageant, which is a project of Chennai's Indian Community Welfare Organisation and AIDS awareness organizations.
had a meeting of the transgender community last week, where we discussed various
events to bring together the community members across the country and spread
awareness on better living," said ICWO secretary A J Hariharan.
"Recreation camps, sports meets and marathons were
discussed, but finally everyone was excited about the idea of a national level
Meanwhile, this week the Indian government ruled that it would not oppose a Delhi high court's decision to legalize gay sex.
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- EXCLUSIVE: Beyoncé Debuts Free Remixes of 'Blow' & 'XO'
- Tom Ford and Richard Buckley Forever