Does the Rainbow Flag Need a Facelift?
By Jessanne Collins
To kick off Pride celebrations later this month, PRI/WYNC's Studio 360 radio show is treating the gay flag to a little Tim Gunn–style wardrobe advice. Sprung from the idea that the ubiquitous rainbow is "a little too 1978," they've asked a design firm to reconceptualize the flag, and are inviting listener submissions via a Flickr pool. "Don't get us wrong, some of our best friends are rainbows," the Flickr page prompts. "But we think
it's time for a 21st century gay flag makeover. Should it be pink and
sparkly? Subdued and stately?"
The exercise is bound to provoke some opinionated discussion of the significance of the trademark rainbow when the results air on the weekend of June 27th.
Previously > Batman and Robin: Are they or aren't they?
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- 20 Power Couples You Should Know
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet
- The 10 Most Influential Gay Fashion Bloggers
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- Next Year in Kampala? America’s LGBT rights industry goes global