Out.com Fashion Advice: A Short Story
By Nick Burns
Q: Things are starting to warm up and I’m interested in buying some shorts, but my friend told me that my cargo shorts aren’t cool anymore. What should I buy for spring and summer?
A: Unless you’re packing some precious cargo in those oversized pockets, skip the cargo shorts. All that baggage just adds more junk to your trunk and needless bulk where you would rather look slim and trim. If you really need to carry a ton of cargo, buy a stylish bag. This season, shorts run the gamut of short and shorter -- from nut-hugging numbers to knee-length Bermuda shorts. Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Marc by Marc Jacobs and Lacoste all offer short-short styles that show a little more thigh by stopping a few inches above the knee without reaching daisy-duke territory. If you’re not up for showing some thigh, preppy-classic Bermuda shorts are also back for another season. But they’ve received a little nip and tuck while in hibernation. Designers like Louis Vuitton, Missoni and Band of Outsiders have taken a cue from skinny trousers and slimmed down the silhouette for an overall lean look that would look great with the season’s nautical looks. Let’s just say that this season’s styles will show off your biggest asset.
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- From Here On Out: The Music Remix
- Looking GIF-cap: Thank You for Being a Friend
- Bear Rapper Big Dipper: I Won’t Sleep With My Fans
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series