Michael Stipe: Perfume Genius Ban Is "Dumbheaded Discrimination"
By Mike Berlin
YouTube's decision yesterday to ban singer Perfume Genius's video ad for his new album, Put Your Back N 2 It, citing violation of their Adult Image/Video Policy, is ludricrous. Though the video features the young singer embracing porn star Arpad Miklos, there's little inappropriate or controversial about it.
And we're not the only ones that smell a rat. Yesterday, former R.E.M frontman Michael Stipe called out YouTube on his blog:
"For YouTube to deem this advertisement as 'non family safe' is dumbheaded discrimination; I find their actions in doing so disgraceful and cowardly. YouTube, shame on you. You were born of the 21st Century, now act like it."
It's yet to be determined whether YouTube will reverse its ban, but in the meantime, click here to see the video.
Photo: Getty Images
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Bianchi, Winterson Books Named Lambda Literary Award Finalists
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Teen Wolf to Get Gayer With a New Out Athlete
- Martha Stewart’s Sex Tips Are As Good Her Baking Tips