The Out Guide to Summer Off the Grid
By Out.com Editors
2. MAKE THIS ICE CREAM
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Ice cream is summer. And vanilla is classic. This recipe makes enough for six, so invite your friends, get out the vinyl (see #3), and start scooping.
500 ml. full-fat milk
1 vanilla pod
6 organic egg yolks
100 g. superfine sugar
150 ml. heavy or whipping cream
Beat egg yolks with sugar. Add vanilla pod to milk and bring to a simmer, then remove pod and pour over the eggs. Strain into a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water. Add cream and stir until the custard thickens. Rinse the vanilla pod and split it end-to-end; scrape the seeds into the custard. Stir and cool before freezing in an ice cream maker. Jazz it up by adding rum-soaked raisins or chocolate shavings before it’s fully set.
Rösle ice cream scoop, $27; RosleUSA.com
- Decorate Your Christmas Tree With Shirtless Mermen Ornaments
- WATCH: Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream
- India Reinstates Gay Sex Ban
- WATCH: Oscar Isaac Performs Folk Version of Katy Perry's 'Roar'
- A Pope is Person of the Year: Edie Windsor is No. 3
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?