Before They Were �Gay�
By Out.com Editors
This year's Oscar noms singled out several outstanding thespians who played gay. Shockingly, none of them are gay, and all of them can successfully play heterosexuals too. It's called'acting!
Heath Ledger, nominated for his portrayal of a tight-lipped, repressed man-lover in Brokeback Mountain, plays a perpetually unzipped lover of women in the title role in Casanova.
Jake Gyllenhaal also got his Oscar nod for Brokeback, but was a (hetero) lovestruck lad in Moonlight Mile and a stargazing teenager in October Sky.
Felicity Huffman garnered her nom for being a woman playing an MTF transgender female in Transamerica. Before that, she played a leggy producer in the short-lived but much-loved Sports Night, and, of course, one of the Desperate Housewives.
Philip Seymour Hoffman could take home the gold for playing the title role in Capote, but he's played straight, gay, surly, and friendly in everything from Magnolia to Boogie Nights and beyond.
Charlize Theron already won for playing a lesbian serial killer in Monster and this year could win again for playing a miner, who her coworkers probably thought was a lesbian.
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Rebel With Applause: Nicola Formichetti Is Tackling His Biggest Fashion Challenge Yet
- Out's Best-Dressed Man of the Week: Jared Leto
- Looking Sneak Peek: The Finale