The Perks Of Being a Teetotaller
By Jon Roth
It's no secret that for many people, drinking and dating go hand-in-hand. Some feel they need a tipple or two before approaching that handsome stranger across the room, and while this can be helpful for shaking off anxiety, it can also lead to poor decision-making.
Shocking, we know.
Cutting back on the sauce is one thing, and plenty of people are capable of drinking within their limits to avoid uncomfortable situations (like forgetting (or never even asking) the name of your one-night-stand). But how do you date if you're an alcoholic in recovery and you can't even touch the stuff?
Gay writer Sam Lansky talks about dates after drinking in his latest article for The Fix:
"...Being in recovery is both a blessing and a curse in terms of honing that romance-detector: our mental faculties are clear enough that we’re more aware of potential mates in our environment but, without the crutch of alcohol to slacken our inhibitions and the dim lighting of a bar to make everything seductive, it’s often more difficult to feel comfortable approaching a complete stranger."
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- Must See: Mala Mala: A Puerto Rican Trans Documentary
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet
- Gay TV - Shows, Series, Reviews, Gay Actors