Out100: Ryan McGinley
By Out.com Editors
Photography by Danielle Levitt
Ten years ago, McGinley became the youngest artist ever to have a solo show at the Whitney — a record he still holds — and he hasn’t slowed down since. This year’s massive photography exhibition, “Yearbook,” continues the one-time New Jersey skate punk’s tradition of nude portraits, mostly of people he meets at music festivals. He also helped reimagine Katy Perry’s look, allegedly inspired Miley Cyrus’s twerk-rager video for “We Can’t Stop,” and recreated the opening sequence of The Shining for a Mercedes-Benz spot that appeared at Fashion Week.
Photographed in New York City on August 2, 2013
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About <i>Quantum Leap</i> & His Favori
- Bianchi, Winterson Books Named Lambda Literary Award Finalists
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Teen Wolf to Get Gayer With a New Out Athlete
- Culture Wars: Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists?