Tom Ford & Jay Z: A Love Story
By Julien Sauvalle
Pictured: Jay Z wearing Tom Ford at the Great Gatsby premiere (left); Tom Ford wearing Tom Ford (right).
Kanye West and Givenchy, A$AP Rocky and Raf Simons... It's no news that rappers love to name-drop fashion designers in their songs, but with his new single, Jay Z is taking it to the next level.
The latest excerpt from his album Magna Carta Holy Grail (released July 4) is simply entitled "Tom Ford".
The song's chorus is pretty much the designer's name repeated over and over on a minimalist Timbaland-produced beat. Three minutes on, Jay Z concludes "I don't pop molly, I rock Tom Ford" —good, because we've had enough of hearing about molly anyway, ok Miley Cyrus?
Mr Carter already gave Ford a big shout out on his collaboration with Justin Timberlake, "Suit & Tie" —in which he had love for Alexander Wang, too— and the designer himself has said that the rapper is his best client. Tom Ford even hired Beyoncé to walk in his comeback-to-womenswear collection in 2010. Oh, and look, here she is making a cameo at the end of the track!
What do you think of the song? Listen to it below:
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Martha Stewart’s Sex Tips Are As Good Her Baking Tips
- Bianchi, Winterson Books Named Lambda Literary Award Finalists
- Teen Wolf to Get Gayer With a New Out Athlete