10 Things We Learned About HBO's Looking
By Stacy Lambe
Ahead of its January premiere on HBO, Looking has launched an official Instagram account with the intention of giving fans a behind-the-scenes 'look' at the series. After studying the pictures of the cast and crew, we picked up a few things about the show that makes us excited to watch:
1. The show stars Frankie J. Alvarez (as Agustín), Murray Bartlett (Dom) and Jonathan Groff (Patrick), three friends living in San Francisco. And by the looks of it, the three have bonded quite nicely on set.
2. There will be skin, in particular Alvarez's—who is seen shirtless filming the pilot.
3. The show will take place at longstanding establishments in and around San Francisco, including The Stud.
5. And it wouldn't be a gay show without at least one drag queen. RuPaul's Drag Race contestant Honey Mahogany will likely appear as herself on the show.
6. Scott Bakula (Behind The Candelabra, Star Trek: Enterprise, Quantum Leap) will appear halfway through the series as Lynn, an entreprenuer(?), a sugar daddy(?), a lone henchman(?).
7. By now, it's known that Russell Tovey will have a recurring role as Kevin, one of Patrick's coworkers. But he won't appear on the show until at least the second episode.
8. The show will have at least one recurring female character, Lauren Weedman (Hung, The Five-Year Engagement) as Doris, Dom's roommate.
9. And because it's a gay show, the costume designer has found a way of "sneaking rainbows into the show in a way that feels subversive, natural and fresh."
10. There's going to be at least one episode involving a Navy ship and some seamen.
The show premieres on January 19 at 10:30 p.m. on HBO.