Benedict Cumberbatch Officiates Gay Wedding
By Out.com Editors
1. Benedict Cumberbatch officiated his gay friends Seth Cummings and Rob Ridner's wedding in Ibiza. “It's a very private, lovely thing to be asked to do," said the Star Trek and Sherlock actor. "Of course, I'm going to make a joke after it, 'I do weddings. Next will be children's parties and Bat Mitzvahs.'"
2. Oxford English Dictionary will soon change their definition of marriage to include equality. No word yet on the final phrasing, though.
3. The Library of Congress announced today that it has accepted over six decades's worth of papers, photographs, pamphlets, and video of longtime LGBT activist Lilli Vincenz, a woman whose footage of early gay rights protests shows the changing times, tactics, and fashions of the American movement. From the Washington Post: "'The thing that’s so interesting in watching Lilli’s films is the contrast between the 1968 very polite gathering — with the men in ties and the women in pearls,' and the much more radical, freewheeling behavior in the 1970 film, says Mike Mashon. Mashon is the head of the moving image department at the Library of Congress."
4. Richard A. Posner at The New Republic thinks pop culture has more influence on marriage equality than the Supreme Court. Developments in society and culture mattered a great deal more than developments in jurisprudence…In retrospect, the growing acceptance of homosexual marriage seems a natural consequence of the sexual revolution that began in the 1960s rather than an effect, even to a small degree, of litigation."
5. Dan Savage is leading a "dump Russian vodka" campaign to boycott that nation's anti-gay laws. Stoli, one of the most famous Russian vodkas, has responded. The SPI Group, which owns Stoli, says they "firmly oppose" Russia's homophobic policies.
6. Adam Goldman and the team from The Outs have 11 days to go to meet their Kickstarter goal for Whatever this is, a new show about a group of New Yorkers whiling away at day jobs while trying to make money on their dreams. Here's the trailer: