'Weekend' Star Joins 'Downton Abbey'
By Benjamin Lindsay
Tom Cullen—star of everyone’s favorite gay indie, Andrew Haigh’s Weekend—will be joining season four of Downton Abbey. Though he once told us that he’d “love to be a gay icon,” there will be no courtship between Cullen and Downton’s resident bad boy, Rob James-Collier. Sorry guys.
Cullen will reportedly be putting the moves on Lady Mary Crawley as Lord Gillingham, a gentleman suitor. Last we saw Lady Mary, she was happy with her husband, Matthew Crawley, and their newborn. That is, until last month’s season three finale in which [SPOILER ALERT!] Matthew was killed in a motoring accident.
Now alone, Lady Mary will have the hunky Cullen to quell her heartache. But how soon is too soon? The addition of Lord Gillingham has its critics, who say that Lady Mary needs time to mourn the loss of Matthew—they were together for a tumultuous nine years, after all. We’ll have to tune in next season to see how it all plays out.
What do you think, Downton fans? Are you excited for the addition of Mr. Cullen, or should Lady Mary venture into motherhood on her own?
- Neil Patrick Harris: His Metamorphosis From Doogie to Barney to Hedwig
- Neil Patrick Harris: Glitter & Glam
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Casting Net: MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters