Madonna Finally Speaks About Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way'
By Jerry Portwood
It's been nearly a year since Gaga released "Born This Way" and people have wondered what Madonna thought of the track that seemed to harken back to her own Express Yourself." Well, last night on 20/20 she finally broke her silence. When she was interviewed and asked if Gaga was "copying" her, Madonna replied: "I certainly think she references me a lot in her work. And sometimes I think it’s amusing and flattering and well done." When pressed, she said: "When I heard it on the radio …I said that sounds very familiar."
As ABC reports, "Asked if that felt annoying, Madonna responded, 'It felt reductive.' Pressed as to whether that was a good or bad thing, Madonna told Cynthia McFadden to 'look it up' — we did; the term means 'minimal' or 'crude' — before smiling slyly and taking a sip from her tea cup.
We wonder if Madonna actually meant to use "derivative"—which means "lacking originality"—but misspoke and, instead of correcting herself, just acted sly—as she took a sip of tea.
To watch the "Express Yourself" video you have to visit YouTube (we can't embed).
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Bianchi, Winterson Books Named Lambda Literary Award Finalists
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Meet RuPaul's Drag Race's New, Bulgier Pit Crew