The Amityville Horror House is Yours for the Taking
By Noah Michelson
We love us a camp classic. And they don’t come camper than that lovely old movie The Amityville Horror (the original 1979 one, not any of the nonsense that followed). From James Brolin’s oddly fanciable mad hipster dad (“I’m coming apaaart!!!”) to Rod Steiger as the fly-covered priest, the movie had it all. Plus when we saw in in the '70s we thought it was a true story. Which it sorta was: for sure, six people were murdered there one night in 1974, and the book that came out three years later was chilling -- but we're not convinced the house was a portal to hell.
Now the house is on the market and you can snatch it up for a mere $1.15million. It’s been extensively remodeled (so likely there are fewer flies and the windows don’t look so much like eyes, now), and even the address has been changed. But still, houses have memories…. So you may wish to purchase it and keep the Long Island (NY) property for use as a creepy museum, or to scare friends with parties there at Halloween, or to see if you really can commune with the devil (or maybe this character).
Previously > Saddam and Hitler as Homos
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- Calpernia Adams: Tranny Is a Dumb Word But Don't Ban It
- Wallflowers: A Web Series For Singles
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet
- Jack Antonoff: Rocker, Ally, Militant Fashionisto, Lena’s Arm Candy