Your Worst Nightmare...Mommy!
By Andrew Wailes
After a two week hiatus, the funniest show on TV came back full swing last night. And it was as cute and clever as ever.
What I love most about Modern Family is its ability to combine humor with very real human concerns. Be it meeting your partner's ex or trying to face your fear of clowns, this show seems to take on things we've all in some way experienced, and always with the same witty sensibility.
The portrayal of gays in this show is, in my opinion, the best in pop culture. Boyfriends Cam and Mitchell are absolutely adorable together, and their adventures in raising their adopted baby Lily always tickle me pink. In this week's episode, Cam invited Lily's pediatrician to brunch after a particularly awkward doctor's visit. Before they sit down to eat, Lily says her first word, calling her doctor Mommy.
Cam and Mitchell, especially Cam, freak out. Have they failed in raising their baby? Does Lily need a female presence in her life? What is there to do? Their concerns are very valid and very real. Yet still touching. When Lily's doctor leaves, she reassures the couple that everything will be just fine, delivering my favorite line of the episode: "...having two fathers who care as much as you do makes Lily the luckiest little girl in the world."
Modern Family, how I love thee.
-- ANDREW WAILES
Previously > Doctor Who Gears Up for a New Season
- Bear Rapper Big Dipper: I Won’t Sleep With My Fans
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Casting Net: MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection