Kele Okereke Named 2012’s ‘Sexiest Man in Indie Rock’
By Alex Panisch
The openly gay frontman of the British indie rock outfit Bloc Party has been voted 2012’s ‘Sexiest Man in Indie Rock’ in a Nerve.com poll. Yeasayer’s Anand Wilder came in second, Passion Pit’s Michael Angelakos took third, and Deck D’arcy of the French band Phoenix nabbed the fourth place spot.
In June, The Advocate featured Okereke on the cover of the magazine. As he explained to Matthew Breen: “I was out as a teenager, just not to my parents and family, and then I told my family in 2000. That’s when I really, really cut the strings.” His parents didn't react positively and threw him out of the house, and for a week they didn’t speak at all. Ultimately, he said, “It was the best period of my life—I say this hand on heart.” He made clear: “Now there’s nothing in my life I have to hide. I think when that realization flows through you and when you know you can be who you are, then everything else is secondary.”
With all the discussion surrounding Frank Ocean and his message about his past romance with a man, the fact that Okereke doesn't seem to have suffered from being open about his sexuality could be seen as a positive step.
You can check out the rest of the top-10 list on Nerve.com. Bloc Party’s new album, Four, comes out August 20 and is produced by hit maker Alex Newport.
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- The Before-and-After Pics of the Phony Duck Dynasty Clan
- Panti Bliss: The Drag Queen Who Rocked Ireland Soaks In the Aftermath