How LGBT Friendly Is Your State?
By Peter Frost
Breaking down how populous the LGBT community truly is can be a tricky business, with many members hesitant to publicly identify themselves as such. However, thanks to California-based think tank The Williams Institute (and Queerty for the tip) we now have a state-by-state breakdown of LGBT demographic info, shining some light on some previously unknown statistics. Gary Gates and Abigail Cooke, the authors of the in-depth map, used the 2010 Census to estimate how many same-sex male and female households there were per state, with District of Columbia coming in first. The map also breaks down statistics involving gay parenting and documentation of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. Click here to check out the study and see the numbers for your state.
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet
- The Final Member: A Long, Hard Look at the Weirdest Museum in the World
- Calpernia Adams: Tranny Is a Dumb Word But Don't Ban It
- 20 Power Couples You Should Know