Oh You Pretty Things: Thin White Duke
By Julien Sauvalle
Photography by Joshua Scott
Alain Pinon, co-owner of Salon AKS (SalonAKS.com) in Manhattan, is no stranger to David Bowie’s transformations: He’s been the singer’s hairstylist for more than 20 years. “Bowie is someone who has done so much with such passion,” Pinon says. “He’s not afraid of change.” Here, he gives us a few tips on how to achieve Bowie’s most famous looks.
“This comes down to a good hold. Don’t use waxy products, because your hair will look oily -- use a gel with a dry finish. Mix a quarter-size of Davines No. 8 Quick Setting Hard Gel ($22, 5 oz.; Barneys.com) with a dime-size of liquid shaving cream and a little hand cream to give hold and heaviness. Blend very well in your hand to create a paste. Towel-dry the hair, put your head upside down, and spread the product all over. Comb back and let dry.”
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Bear Rapper Big Dipper: I Won’t Sleep With My Fans
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series