Oh You Pretty Things: Ziggy Stardust
By Julien Sauvalle
Photography by Joshua Scott
Alain Pinon, co-owner of Salon AKS (SalonAKS.com) in Manhattan, is no stranger to David Bowie’s transformations: He’s been the singer’s hairstylist for more than 20 years. “Bowie is someone who has done so much with such passion,” Pinon says. “He’s not afraid of change.” Here, he gives us a few tips on how to achieve Bowie’s most famous looks.
“The Ziggy mullet was the defining haircut of the ’70s. It’s not about the shine, it’s about a big image, so you need to layer several products. In the palm of your hand, mix some Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($39, 8.5 fl. oz.; Oribe.com) with a heavy-duty gel like Garnier Fructis Style Super Stiff Gel ($4.29, 6.8 oz.; GarnierUSA.com). Add a pinch of PHYTO Shine Defining Wax ($24.99, 2.5 oz.; PHYTO.com). Apply to the top of your hair to achieve the damaged-hair look.”
- James Franco Teases "50 Shades of Batman and Robin"
- Tom Daley Confirms It Was 'Love at First Sight' With Dustin Lance Black
- Have 30 Minutes to Watch a Lana Del Rey's Short Film?
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- EastSiders Web Series Lands A Satellite Award Nomination
- Listen to 'The Sound Of Music Live' Soundtrack