WATCH: 'Young Wolverine' Actor Comes Out
By Andrew Belonsky
South African actor Troye Sivan's best known for playing James Howett, the boy who became Hugh Jackman's Wolverine in the 2009 film X-Men Origins: Wolverine. To others, Sivan's recognized for his rise to prominence in 2006 as a then 11-year old singer on a popular Australian telethon and StarSearch. A 2008 debut album only grew this fame; then came the aforementioned Wolverine role; and more recently the actor has garnered major praise for his role in the growing Spud movie franchise based on author John van de Ruit's novel of the same name. Together, these roles and appearances have helped him amass an impressive 400,000 subscribers on YouTube, where Sivan regularly fills fans in on the daily goings on in his life.
But today he shared something new: he's gay. Three years ago, on August 7, 2010, he told his family, and now the 18-year old decided it was time to share it with his vast and diverse fan base. "It feels kind of weird to have to announce it like this on the internet but I feel like a lot of you guys are genuine friends of mine. I share everything with the internet," he said.
This one of the more touching coming out videos out there, filled with honesty and charm and instantly recognizable memories of straight girlfriends and confused tears in the park. We all have our Kayla. And, yes, as Sivan points out, it doesn't only just get better, it can be good from the start.
READER COMMENTS (
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team
- EastSiders Web Series Lands A Satellite Award Nomination
- Olympic Diver Tom Daley Comes Out
- Quote of the Day: Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional
- What Are Nathan Lane & Patti LuPone Really Like? Here's the Broadway Gossip!