Web Series 'The Switch' Shows Trans Comedy
By Chloe Fitzpatrick
Yet another web series is looking for a little help to get made via Kickstarter. But this one has a hitch: "The Switch" is based on Sü, a young woman living a normal, corporate life as a software manager with an alright apartment. The twentysomething has just figured out how to live a stable life when she comes out as trans. Immediately, the good-enough life immediately fell apart. Laid off and “renevicted,” Sü is forced to find an entirely new habitat.
We meet Sü just as she’s picking up the pieces and leaving her old life behind. While sleeping on an ex’s couch, Sü spends the first season of the show attempting to find a new job and a new identity. She spends her time in artsy-fartsy Vancouver, trying to crawl her way back to a stable life, but hopefully discovering new ways to live in the world.
The show is created by Trembling Void Studies, a queer media collective, and half of the creative team behind "The Switch" are trans-identified. Plus, only trans characters are played by trans cast members, making for rich material based on lived experience and is sure to provide some laughs.
Find out how you can support the show here. Watch the clip below:
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- 20 Power Couples You Should Know
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- The Final Member: A Long, Hard Look at the Weirdest Museum in the World