First Look: A Nightmare On Elm Street
By Noah Michelson
A Nightmare on Elm Street will always be one of my favorite horror movies. Not only is the premise -- child molester is burnt alive by a community of pissed off parents after he's acquitted on a technicality and then returns to terrorize said community as a dream stalking demon with razor sharp claws and a face that looks like a half-baked pizza minus the mozzarella -- absolutely terrifying, but Freddy Krueger is one the most fabulously queeny monsters to ever cackle her way onto the big screen.
A thoroughly '80s movie through and through, the film is the latest in a long line of movies from the golden age of horror (like Friday the 13th, Halloween, and The Hills Have Eyes) to get a remake, this one reconceptualized by none other than the king of summer block busters, Michael Bay. The trailer for the new A Nightmare On Elm Street, due out next year, was just released and though I'm always nervous when someone messes with a masterpiece in hopes of improving it (or perhaps simply because it's easier to take a classic, winning storyline and revamp it rather than having to think up a brand new one), the clip looks promising. Let's just pray Bay was smart enough to keep the camp quotient as high as the original's by staying true to its faggy one liners and over the top moments (like the long distance french kiss from Freddie sent through the phone receiver).
-- NOAH MICHELSON
Previously > Movies Of The Week
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- James Franco's Hardcore Interior. Leather Bar Hits Cinemas