Johnny Weir Opposes The Sochi Olympics Boycott
1. Olympic figure skater, Johnny Weir has come out against the proposed boycott of the Winter Olympics in Sochi Russia. In a column for the Falls Church News Press, Weir said that he “still will compete” and that “the Olympics are not a political statement, they are a place to let the world shine in peace and let them marvel at their youthful talents.” Yeah nothing political about those flags or national anthems or anything.
2. Frank Ocean slams Chris Brown in the lyrics of his version of Migos’ “Versace.” He posted the lyrics on his Tumblr under the title “No Audio.” In a lyrical bitch-slap aimed at Chris Brown, Ocean references the time when Chris Brown didn’t stand when Ocean won a Grammy. Ocean writes, “You could stay seated I’m taking that Grammy/ Your music is sloppy."
3. South Africa’s Desmond Tutu told the Agence France-Press that he’d rather go to Hell than to a homophobic Heaven. The Washington Times reports that the retired bishop told the AFP, “I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this. I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid.”
4. A New York City teach got fired for calling someone a “faggot” on Bravo’s “Princesses: Long Island.” Sara Schapiro, who teaches first grade, used the slur against her castmate when she was fighting with him and his girlfriend. Really, you’re going to use an anti-gay slur on Bravo of all networks?
5. The “Oregon Says I Do” campaign, which seeks to bring marriage equality to The Beaver State kicks off today. Sign the petition here.
6. Gay Women Channel, the people who made the “Gay Women Will Marry Your Boyfriends” video, have released "Putin Airlines," which satirizes Russia’s draconian anti-gay laws. Thanks for the name check by the way.